For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Tuesday, July 19, 2016

delicate blue and white





I think I said here that I had been doing a little embroidery on some of my new surfaces...well here it is. I have only taken small snippets and added them to a base of white cotton but I can already see the potential of the textured cloth mixed with a smoother background. There are possibilities for rich seams and lots of surface embellishment too.
This one will most likely stay like this, a sample, an example of how these pieces can be used as part of larger pieces of work. Now I want to play with my other surfaces from here, create more examples, more ideas....move this whole process forward.

1 comment:

Tammie Lee said...

beautiful
truly a joy to see