For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Embroidered silk to compliment paper






Yesterday I showed you two new pieces of ''paperwork'' and mentioned how I think the paper is enhanced by the presence of silk and embroidery. Cloth was an integral part of both pieces yesterday, it was stitched behind cut outs and applied to the surface. Today I am looking at how it lives alongside the paperwork as a separate piece, for an edge maybe, or a draped accompaniment....
This is one piece from yesterday. It isn't finished, nothing is decided. I have plans for the second piece whilst I think a little more about this, the cloth, the placement, the embellishment.
This morning I created new cloth, lace, silk, net....all with paperwork in mind. I will show you that tomorrow. 
 I also listed another  ''work on your own class''...Lace, paper, cloth and stitch. Although it doesn't demonstrate the cloth or paper shown here it does include demonstration of the creation of unique surfaces which have a similarity to the one shown today in terms of delicacy, lightness and texture.


1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Your paper/cloth pieces look amazing Karen .. totally love them ..